Topic: What improvements do you want to see in the UK template for Zen Cart?

We all know that Zen Cart 1.3 is due for release at some point in the (hopefully) near future.  And reading through the many posts about what 1.3 will and won't cater for, we can assume that some of the changes the current UK template make will be available as a 'core' component.

I'm hoping that the issue of converting 'lbs' in to 'KGs' in the various pages that use it will be resolved.
I'm hopeful that the promised overhaul of the Tax calculation and presentation will be resolved and many other little 'niggles' we here in the UK contend with.

One of the sticking points I don't think we will get resolved, is having an option to install a UK site 'out of the box'.  The reason behind this thought is that our government keep changing 'local' boundries and renaming them.  As such it's not practicle to commit options that may change into the core installation data-base.

Another issue to contend with is that currently the Post Office use 'Postal Towns' and 'Post Codes' as key identifiers in addressing.  It's worked well for years but Zen Cart doesn't use these 'identifiers' as primary fields.

What with the end of the Post Office monopoly on UK postage, I can see a real opening for using Zen Cart's zone capabilites to reduce distribution costs accross the UK as new couriers spring up to provide 'regional' distribution services.  i.e.  a new Scottish company may give preferential pricing if they deliver only to other Scottish companies.

So ... what improvements do you want to see as a UK Zen Cart user?

Re: What improvements do you want to see in the UK template for Zen Cart?

For the next release of the UK Template I'm planning on modifying the way the UK is displayed.

Below you will see what I think is a comprehensive list of counties that make up the UK and ROI.  I have then broken the list down into it's respective countries.

All of the counties below that make up the UK will still be associated with The United Kingdom but then I plan to add Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales The Channel Islands etc as 'new' countries to the Database and then associate the counties to each country.

This is a comprehensive list compiled from a number of old and new lists.

Are there any I've missed?
Are there any that don't need to be included?
What are your thoughts on this?
Is it going too far?

Wales

* Merthyr Tydfil
* Caerphilly
* Blaenau
* Gwent
* Torfaen
* Monmouthshire
* Newport
* Cardiff
* Vale of Glamorgan
* Bridgend
* Rhondda Cynon Taf
* Neath Port Talbot
* Swansea
* Carmarthenshire
* Ceredigion
* Powys
* Wrexham
* Flintshire
* Denbighshire
* Conwy
* Gwynedd
* Anglesey (Ynys M

How about incorporating the use of Switch/Maestro? Or is it already there and I've missed it?

Hi Rick,
Thanks for your suggestion .

There was a contribution somewhere in the ZC forums that gave us the switch/maestro functions, but it was never updated.  I'll add your request to my 'can do' list.

Stay tuned

Kev

Hi Kev,
firstly thanks for a great contrib.

Would you make sure that Clwyd is removed as it is now Denbighshire, Flintshire and Conwy counties.

I live in Denbighshire btw :-)

Regards,

Thanks for the feedback - I'll update the sql file tomorrow.

Kev

Since I'm submitting this after the release of 1.3 and I haven't uploaded the UK template 1.3 yet - I realise I may be a little too late (and possibly asking for something that has already been added) ... but I'm not going to let that stop me from giving my feedback wink

I'd like the possibility to offer a full Post Office postal service - 1st class, 2nd class, recorded, registered or parcel force when the package gets too heavy. Customers may decide to pay for additional insurance - based on the Post Office rules.

I'd also like a small space to describe the difference of each of these services to my customers.

Then, I'd like their chosen service to print onto my packing slip (maybe even onto the parcel label too) so that I can easily label the parcel so I don't forget by the time I get to the post office.

Easy huh? big_smile

Yours (utterly reliant on other people's contributions because I have no programming skills whatsoever!)

Bryony hmm

Hi Bryony,
What you want isn't a part of the UK template (It might be one day).
I'd suggest you have a look at the MZMT Shipping Module.
Here's the thread url
http://www.zen-cart.com/modules/ipb/ind … topic=9924

As far as I remember this mod will do all you want.

Kev