Topic: Arrgggghh

1.3.6 is out.

A mere 172 files to cross check for differences.

Does anyone know why there isn't anything like the "MOD" files which PHPBB uses (and people have written tools which implement those files)

I have to admit that having downloaded 1.3.5 and spent quite a bit of time bolting bits on and tweaking it the thought of having to manually work out the differences and either implementing them or waiting for the various extensions to be updated to 1.3.6 and re-installing them is not something I really want to consider.

So do I bother doing it all now, do I wait a couple of weeks for people to iron out the bugs and get the extensions checked in against 1.3.6, do I not bother doing it at all (and risk security problems) or do I give up...

Re: Arrgggghh

Hi Steve,
This is a question I've asked myself. 

I've updated two sites now from 135 to 136 and it is a time consuming task.
With some of the other sites, for the time being all I have done is applied the security patches.

It is a matter of personal choice but as and when time permits I will be upgrading from 135 to 136 and THEN I'll make a decision for the next ZC update.

Hope that helps

Kev

I've done the security patching. Some of the stuff seems very US Centric and without installing a whole store I'm not really sure what advantages I'll actually get from the rest of the work - and that's time I don't currently have

Looking on the Zen Forums there seem to be a lot of people having problems with things breaking all over the place.

Steve

My Nan used to say don't fix something that works.

Zen cart is excellent because there is a development path.  It has a future.

If your shop is already doing what you want it to do.  It's working.  If it's making money - it's working.  Don't fix it. 

If however you want to improve the way your cart works, then build with the latest version as your 'core'. 

The key to any update is the database.  If you just think of Zen Cart as the 'template wrapper' that helps you profit from your data, I think you will be on the right track.

The ZC core team said that the 1.3.x version was what versions would need to be running, if you wanted to upgrade your business when they were released.

As long as we have the 1.3.x db structure we should be OK whatever we decide.