Topic: Email Disclaimers

The newsletters that Zen cart can send out has a long winded legal disclaimer mentioning the US CAN-SPAM act.

Obviously this doesn't apply in the UK so I don't really want to send out stuff with it on however I'm wondering if there is any recommended wording for the UK.

The wording is contained in the email_extras.php file which can be found in the language sub folder structure.

Re: Email Disclaimers

Legal disclaimers are a real hot topic at the moment.

As a UK business you need to look at our EU regulations.

I would never advise anyone to go live without policies and disclaimers but there is no common wording that I've found.

Your policy should include things like:
We will not share, trade or rent your details with any third party.
However we may from time to time send you information of products, services or information from third parties.
You will be able to remove yourself from our list(s) at anytime using our automated control panel located here: <link>
It will be treated in accordance with the legal provisions under English law concerning data protection and may be initially stored and processed inside or outside the European Union anywhere in the world.
You agree to indemnify us against all loss howsoever caused.
This policy will be governs by the laws of England and Wales.

Having just wrote that I now need to inform you that I do not in any way represent that the information you have read is acurate and as such I recommend that you seek the advice of a qualified legal beagle.

smile

Hope that sends you on the right track

Kev

wink

The annoying this is of course that Zen-Cart doesn't allow this to be customised from within the system so you have to go and find the file in question. Being a US based product they've coded it in and dont mention it anywhere because of course for the USA its correct.

Is it worth updating the UK template documentation so it includes a reference to editing the appropriate file?

Last edited by Steve_a (04-09-2006 08:24:04)

With the release of the new 1.3.5 ZC code this sounds like a great option.

Thanks for the tought.

Kev

True

I see they've tweaked the template system again - classic has changed again.

Whilst its good that they are improving things it does make customisation a bit of pain!

Just a bit lol -
I have decided to move the UK zen cart template away from the classic as of the new release.

I am not looking forward to some of the updates that are on the way.  Interesting but just not looking forward to them.