Topic: UK Zen cart

Hi,
I had already began customizing the US version of the zen cart before I realised there was the UK option.

Is there a way I can "update" my cart to the UK setting without "overriding the changes I have made already?

All this is a major learning curve for me. smile

Here is my cart with the changes I have made so far (mostly design) but the URL is just temporary whilst I am waiting for a domain transfer.

( I have "altered" the URL as I don't want it to get into the search engines until it is  complete)

h ttp:www.storerevolution.com/cart

Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: UK Zen cart

Hi Peggy

congratulations you have been busy.

It can be done it's just a case of being brave and remembering to back up before doing anything.

The UK template module is basically split into two parts.  Files and MySQL.

If you just upload the UK template files into the correct template locations they will affect your work - not good.

You need to run them trough WinMerge using your files as the comparison.   As a rough guide - If it's a code type change, leave it be.  If it's text decide if you want to change it smile ...  Simple see!

The MySQL is not so easy to tell you about.

How conversant are you with adding MySQL code snippets into PHPMyadmin etc?

Kev

kevinpolley wrote:

Hi Peggy

congratulations you have been busy.

It can be done it's just a case of being brave and remembering to back up before doing anything.

The UK template module is basically split into two parts.  Files and MySQL.

If you just upload the UK template files into the correct template locations they will affect your work - not good.

You need to run them trough WinMerge using your files as the comparison.   As a rough guide - If it's a code type change, leave it be.  If it's text decide if you want to change it smile ...  Simple see!

The MySQL is not so easy to tell you about.

How conversant are you with adding MySQL code snippets into PHPMyadmin etc?

Kev

I wish I knew what you just said to me....

Does that answer your question? smile

I suppose I will just have to continue as I have been doing.

I have other carts installed on my server for more stores when I get this one finished.

Would I be able to upload the UK files to the carts I haven't  modified yet? and if so, how would I go about that?

Thanks

peggy wrote:

Aha -- I see said the blind man.

peggy wrote:

Yep smile but not to fear.

peggy wrote:

Would I be able to upload the UK files to the carts I haven't  modified yet? and if so, how would I go about that?

You can. It's not exactly what it was set up to do but you can work around it.

With the uploaded but unmodified carts - upload the files in to the correct over ride directories (you understand this bit ???).

Open up PHPmyadmin and import the MySQL file -  That SHOULD work.

Do you have access to PHPMyadmin or was that yet more gobbleDgook???  smile smile

We'll get there - he says looking up hopefully smile

Kev

kevinpolley wrote:
peggy wrote:

Aha -- I see said the blind man.

peggy wrote:

Yep smile but not to fear.

peggy wrote:

You can. It's not exactly what it was set up to do but you can work around it.

With the uploaded but unmodified carts - upload the files in to the correct over ride directories (you understand this bit ???).

Do you have access to PHPMyadmin or was that yet more gobbleDgook???  smile smile

We'll get there - he says looking up hopefully smile

Kev

Well funnily enough I have accessed PHPMyadmin before but the contents inside were gobbledegook LOL

Ya know what I did?

I just uploaded the admin and includes files to my server and it worked...

Well for one cart it did sad

The other one had a nice union jack but no shipping zones.

So I continue to fumble about in the dark and get lucky sometimes....lol

kevinpolley wrote:

Kev

I tired the above and this is the error message I got sad

Error

SQL query: Documentation

# UK TEMPLATE MOD - v1.3.6a base |
# From Kevin Polley - www.mutualadvantage.co.uk
# The following MySQL is to assist in making your zen-cart
# more UK like and remove the Americanisation our UK clients dislike.
# Thanks to DrByte for his coding help.
#
# The following code takes the classic template box layout
# and adds code to your database so that when you select 'your_template'
# the boxes are still there and you don't have to reconfigure them.
INSERT INTO layout_boxes( layout_template, layout_box_name, layout_box_status, layout_box_location, layout_box_sort_order, layout_box_sort_order_single, layout_box_status_single )
VALUES (
'your_template', 'banner_box_all.php', 1, 1, 5, 0, 0
);

MySQL said: Documentation
#1146 - Table '*********.layout_boxes' doesn't exist

I added the stars because that was my database name and I wasn't sure if that was a good thing to post freely?

Hi Peggy,

Shipping zones are not part of the UK template - try the Big Royal Mail shiiping mod.

As for not having layout boxes ..... Now I'm confused.
You were right to keep an eye on security but Zen Cart uses layout boxes to allow the positioning of everything.

Not sure why you got that message to be honest.  It's probably something to do with the code and not you.

I'm going to email you.

Kev

kevinpolley wrote:

Hi Peggy,

Shipping zones are not part of the UK template - try the Big Royal Mail shiiping mod.

As for not having layout boxes ..... Now I'm confused.
You were right to keep an eye on security but Zen Cart uses layout boxes to allow the positioning of everything.

Not sure why you got that message to be honest.  It's probably something to do with the code and not you.

I'm going to email you.

Kev

Ok well I am really confused because one of my carts list all the counties in the shipping zones and the other lists countries...What did I do?....lol

Ok I will look forward to the email.... smile

How you getting on?

Not great

I decided to go back to the beginning but experiencing difficulties.

I am really appreciative of the zen cart forums but I do find that some posters seem to skirt around the obvious.

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthrea … post432641

Have added my tuppence to that post for you smile

Personally I don't rely on hosting companies to upload or install programmes using 'scripts'.

You are just as well off learning to upload the files yourself using your FTP program so that you know where the files are.

I also personally rename dist_configure to configure before uploading.

Kev