Topic: Contraversial view??

Having had Zencart completey mess me up this weekend (I think it might have been something to do with php5) to the point that I basically gave up and started again.

Then that went wrong for various reasons (I suspect I put one file for one extension in the wrong directory... Quite why they need to make it such a complicated nest of directories I do not know).

So I'm sitting here with a broken system and wondering if frankly I should just dump ZenCart and try to find something that isn't as complicated.

Yes I said complicated - ZenCart has so many functions that I suspect 90% of people don't use and the documentation is sparse and often confusing.

I'm also finding that extensions that I'd been using are no-longer being developed/supported.

So am I right or am I just having a bad morning.

Kevin - feel free to move this topic if its not in the right place!

Re: Contraversial view??

Hi Steve,

Anything worthwhile gets like that!  And here is as good a place as any to air your views.

The big question you need to ask yourself is:
What are you selling and what do you want the 'software' to do for you?

The next questions should be:
Who are my competitors and what are they doing?

Zen Cart is a shopping cart programme for almost any eventuality.  The fact that it is Open Source means you have the right to change or modify the core code if you want to.

The core developers maintain the 'working bits' and they are always trying to improve its handling.

They can't do everything and other talented people hack the code or write bolt ons to make the whole thing easier to use or give it more functionality.

The time it take to write and maintain a bolt on is considerable.  And yes there are modules that were written for earlier releases of Zen Cart that have not been updated for various reasons.  And yes ... in some cases they were very useful mods to have.

The file structure is important, it allows for growth and bolt ons to be added using 'common' practice.  It doesn't always make sense until you've made a few cock-ups.

This is why I always say Backup - Back up - and Back-up again ... BEFORE you make any changes.

And then before I make any changes I always say - re-install the backup you just made to make sure it works smile

Just imagine if you'd just spent a week adding products .......  at that point you really do consider trying something else.

A Few Facts About Ecommerce Software

The internet changes.
The software that runs the internet changes.
The bigger the internet gets and the more it gets used, holes will appear and need to be patched.

What ever programme you use You will end up having problems or being forced to upgrade.  Business can be inconvenient  sometimes.

Sometimes some tools are sledge hammers and all you really need is a nut cracker.

If you want a quick chat to see how you can pull all of the bits together, feel free to give me a call.

Kev

I wish ZC had a more mainstream approach to source control; public repository and take patch submissions from the audience.  Are there reasons why that's not the practise, do you know?  It kinda feels like a touchy subject back on the ZC forums.

I'm not really looking forward to the merge I'll need to do when 1.4 drops (though I _am_ eagerly anticipating seeing the touted performance improvements!).

Mine is not to question why the Core team have this approach.  Perhaps it stems from the early days of it parentage with OSC?

Things also got a bit strange when a mambo (now joomla) interface was touted.

What I'd like to see is integration of Zen Cart with Drupal.

bitcommerce.org is supposed to be a fork of ZC from its 1.2.x days, but progress reports seem hard to come by.  Bit of a shame.