Topic: VAT Turnover thresholds

Kevin
How does one go about setting up the Tax Classes/Rates or whatever if the turnover expected for sales of your product/service does not come close to the current VAT thresholds for registration and deregistration please?

Currently in my experimental store on my home computer I have it set to 17.5% for chargeable and for exempt 0%.  Presumably these percentages apply to widgets/services being supplied and not related to whether I was registered or not.  But is there some other setting you would use to avoid any charge whatsoever being levied to your customer in respect of VAT, when you do not come up to the VAT turnover threshold.

I would imagine that whatever that setting was, in addition you would surely have to make it clear to a prospective customer that you are not currently registered for VAT so that they were not puzzled by no VAT being calculated on Sales and shown on the invoice.

Perhaps you could go into detail on this one for me and thanks for that.
David

Re: VAT Turnover thresholds

If you are registered for VAT then charge VAT  (set products as VAT)
If you are not VAT registered then don't charge it.  (set products as VAT EXEMPT)

Zen Cart has nothing to do with your turnover.

Kev

kevinpolley wrote:

Zen Cart has nothing to do with your turnover.

Kev

Thank you Kevin for your explanation.  Well I understand what you say, but with regard to Zen Cart having nothing to do with my turnover.  I was interpreting it in the sense that it would be the vehicle through which my sales were being fed.  So eventually it would provide a means of accumulating the figures that made up the total turnover in a year to decide whether or not one had to be registered for VAT.  That is all I was getting at with the question.  Sorry for any confusion there, and now I know better.

But thanks again for your reply regarding charging the 0% where applicable, I had not realised I could do that because other people selling the same item may have thought it was weird that I didn't charge on an item that perhaps they were charging 17.5%.

So I am very happy you have cleared that up for me.  All clear now.
David

Hi David,
Glad I could be of help.

When it comes to selling and accounting they are two different things.
While ZC will keep your sales records and you can see your turn-over it is NOT an accounting package.  Try and keep that in mind and you won't get upset later on.

If you want an accounts package ... free go and have a look at
http://www.turbocashuk.com/

When I last looked there was an integration into ZC which will make you life a lot easier.

If you want to be 100% ask them - they are really helpful people.

Kev

kevinpolley wrote:

Hi David,
Glad I could be of help. ......

If you want an accounts package ... free go and have a look at
http://www.turbocashuk.com/

When I last looked there was an integration into ZC which will make you life a lot easier.

If you want to be 100% ask them - they are really helpful people.
Kev

Hi Kevin

Before I forget.  Hope pfm102 reads this.  Thanks to him and his posting after I mentioned I had never heard of devside.net in a customization posting.  He explained who they were and about their software.  I went up and had a look.

Decided to uninstall everything about MySQL, Apache and PHP and install their product, instead of my "lash-up"!  Very glad I did.  It is a first class set up and I am now able to have the three programs functioning just great.  Thanks to him.

Now to your posting.  Indeed I will take your good advice and keep the 2 things quite separately in my mind.  That accounting package you mention, I went up a few minutes ago and had a quick look.  I must say it is used in other countries and seems to have a huge following growing.  Also the functions mentioned on their home page are really impressive.  So later tonight I will download it and take it from there.

Thanks for the link.  Well worth it I am sure.
Kind regards.

David smile

No worries; devside.net were new on me, too.  I was actually looking for docs (when I found them) on making my Apache config play well with PHP 5.2.1 - their installer apparently isn't as clever as it otherwise might be.

Now, if only there were a WAMRoR project...  Speaking of which, I'm kinda surprised there aren't any RoR shopping carts by now.  I did have a look while I was picking which cart to use (especially when I saw how ... interlaced ... ZC's PHP is with its HTML), but I only found one, and that was in a fledgling state.  bitcommerce.org looks interesting, too, but doesn't seem to show much development activity.

Is Ruby that good?  I haven't had time to investigate it much. It comes across as cultware?

I haven't had a chance to delve into it myself beyond watch some evangelism videos.  My day job is TV-over-the-internet using C# & .NET, so I'm unlikely to ever get a chance to play with it.  It _sounds_ useful, though, when I compare it to the tightly-coupled data-access + presentation code in ZC.  However, ZC's the only exposure I've had to PHP; I wouldn't have thought everything is the same.