Topic: Using the UK template with an existing setup

Forgive my ignorance if there is something I am missing.

I already have a shop nearly ready to go and customized and I found this site when I was trying to find the best way to set up shipping.

It seems to fix a lot of the items on my 'must fix that' list in one go.

The bit I am confused by is that I won't it mean switching to a new template for look and feel? I've invested a lot of time in that already and all I really need is the text and functionality fixes but using my existing template for look and feel.

thanks in advance for any advice,

Andy

Re: Using the UK template with an existing setup

Hi Andy,
Depending on the changes you've made to your current template, it shouldn't be too difficult to combine the two.

In the zip file you downloaded is a file called 'changed_files.txt' which details the files used for the uktemplate.

If you haven't customised any of those files, it's just a case of changing the folders named 'uktemplate' to the name of your template and then uploading the files in the normal way and overwriting your existing files.

In your case, there should be no need to upload any of the files in /includes/languages/english/html_includes/uktemplate/

I'd suggest that you use winmerge to determine the changes in /includes/languages/uktemplate/english.php  (where uktemplate is the name of your template) as this is the most common file that people modify.

Not knowing how far you've got with setting up your template and what your 'missing pieces' are, makes it difficult to help with explaining your sql file.  But I'd hazzard a guess that you can run the sql file and it will sort most things out for you.  The only part of the instuctions you wouldn't need to do is select the 'uktemplate' from the available templates.  The remain sql shouldn't cause a problem.

As with any mod or change I'd make sure that you back-up your existing database and all of the files from Zen Cart.

I hope this helps.  If you need more info please repost.

Kev

Thanks. I ended up going through the folders with a diff tool and going through the SQL section by section.

thanks for your help.

If you can think of a way I can improve the current UK template to cater for people like yourself who already have thier own template but just want to make it UK friendly, please let me know.

This isn't the first time this has come up and although I've racked my brain to find a simpler solution - I've come up blank.

Glad yo got there though.

Kev

From memory, there didn't seem to be an awful lot that conflicted with my template. For one thing seperating off the template stuff from the non-template stuff would mean that people with existing templates could add the files that are unlikely to conflict. Maybe modularizing things further. All the files that change lbs into Kg in one set, wording changes in another.

It's a tricky one...

Hello!

I, too, stumbled across this template when trying to sort out a shop without re-coding the entire cart to work with UK taxes/counties...

Anyway, I found this but unfortantly, I already have another template installed and configured...  Has any progress been made on making the integration of this template and others?   I've tried the winmerge thing and I'm just not adept enough to get it to work!

Any help would be fantabulous! big_smile

Hi There,

Sorry to say that I haven't made any progress on making the integration of the UK module to other templates 'easier'.

I'm a fraid that it will have to be a case of manual intervention.

best

Kev